Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Wyandotte, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning in Wyandotte a call to get started. Contact our team at 734-363-8907 or schedule an appointment with us online.