While winter seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a buzz at 734-284-1224. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Wyandotte weather.