Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, your professionals will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always count on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the pros at Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning in Wyandotte around to help, too. Give us a call at 734-284-1224 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.