On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning in Wyandotte about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Wyandotte home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Gee & Missler Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 734-363-8907.